Hello, my name is Lani, and welcome to Life, the Universe, and Lani.
In 2009, I put away my possessions and stuffed my bags for Thailand. I started this blog and began my mentorship as an American expat looking for adventure, answers (it’s 42), and an alternative lifestyle.
Over the years, I’ve written about my experiences abroad, but at the core has been my desire to challenge myself, and focus on personal development.
Currently, I’m in 🇹🇭 Lampang, Thailand. But to recap my wanderings, I’ve lived in 🇰🇭 Siem Reap Cambodia, Rayong, Chiang Rai & Chiang Mai Thailand, 🇪🇨 Cuenca Ecuador, Huntsville Alabama, Oceanside + Chico California, Portland + Eugene Oregon, Durango + Cortez Colorado, and Mililani Hawaii…
Welcome aboard, baby.
9 fabulous facts about me:
1. My mother is Thai 🇹🇭, my father’s Chinese 🇨🇳, and I was born in Hawaii 🇺🇸. So, that makes me American. Asian American. American Asian. Not really Asian. Up to you. My identity, these days, hasn’t been so much a struggle, as it is an interesting reflection of how others perceive me.
2. 📍I taught myself to not be so directionally challenged! No, really. If I can do it, so can you. Well, maybe. Okay. It’s worth the effort!
3. 🏥 I was born in a pink hospital on the beautiful island of Oahu, a week after my mom arrived from Thailand (cause she’s crazy). Yes, she lied about how many months pregnant she was to get on the plane. Go mom!
4. ✍🏼 I love to write. I started writing when we moved from Mililani, Oahu to Barstow, California. I was thirteen years old and devastated/bored/melancholic by this dastardly decision. Looking back though, I realize this is when I started to become obsessed with reading and writing.
5. 👑 My favorite fairy tales are: The Snow Queen and The Golden Goose. I like how in The Snow Queen, it’s the girl that saves the boy, and in The Golden Goose, it’s laughter that saves the princess.
6. 🌺 My first name is Hawaiian, my middle name is Thai, and my last name is British English. Although, I should clarify that my last name is indeed my maiden name even though I’m not British!
7. ⏰ I loathe clocks. I challenge you to find the time in my house.
8. In junior high, I was captain of the cheerleader squad at a private school in Barstow. Yeaaahhhh.
9. 📖 I wrote a book. It’s about my experience as a Waldorf teacher, getting fired, losing faith, and trust in people, and then picking myself up again. This was a big deal because much of my identity (or how I saw myself) was wrapped up in my job, and getting fired taught me to define myself in new ways.
If you prefer to listen to an 🎧 audiobook, or download an ebook that contributes directly to me, as opposed to the above Amazon link, you could go to Gumroad.
OMG. I love you, Lani. Now what?
Well, you can follow me virtually. But you can’t around town because: a) I’m very good at recognizing stalkers, b) I don’t like people walking behind me, and c) you’ll find it extremely annoying when I stop and look at you or suddenly wait to walk behind you.
💕 Thanks for reading along,
formally Tell-Thai Heart