Hello, my name is Lani and welcome to Life, the Universe and Lani.
In 2009, I put away my possessions and stuffed my bags for Thailand. I started this blog and began my mentorship as an American expat looking for adventure, answers (it’s 42), and an alternative lifestyle.
All these years later, I’m still here. I think I must have found it. Or maybe I’m still looking. In any case, I collect what I’ve learned and share my grand and small thoughts in this corner of the Internet.
Currently, I’m in Chiang Rai. But to recap my wanderings, I’ve lived in Siem Reap Cambodia, Chiang Rai + Chiang Mai Thailand, Cuenca, Ecuador, Huntsville, Alabama, Oceanside + Chico, California, Portland + Eugene Oregon, Durango + Cortez Colorado, and Mililani, Hawaii (Beyond this I was too young to remember).
Welcome aboard, baby.
9 fabulous facts about me:
1. My mother is Thai, my father’s Chinese, and I was born in Hawaii. So, that makes me American. Asian American. American Asian. Not really Asian. Up to you. My identity, these days, hasn’t been so much a struggle, as it is an interesting reflection of how others perceive me.
2. I taught myself to not be so directionally challenged! No, really. If I can do it, so can you. Well, maybe. Okay. It’s worth the effort!
3. I was born in a pink hospital on the beautiful island of Oahu, a week after my mom arrived from Thailand (cause she’s crazy). Yes, she lied about how many months pregnant she was to get on the plane. Go mom!
4. I love to write. I started writing when we moved from Mililani, Oahu to Barstow, California. I was thirteen years old and devastated/bored/melancholic by this dastardly decision. Looking back though, I realize this is when I started to become obsessed with reading and writing.
5. My favorite fairy tales are: The Snow Queen and The Golden Goose. I like how in The Snow Queen, it’s the girl that saves the boy, and in The Golden Goose, it’s laughter that saves the princess.
6. My first name is Hawaiian, my middle name is Thai, and my last name is British English. Although, I should clarify that I’ve never been married and my last name is indeed my maiden name even though I’m not British!
7. I loathe clocks. I challenge you to find the time in my house.
8. In junior high, I was captain of the cheerleader squad at a private school in Barstow. Yeaaahhhh.
9. I wrote a book. It’s on Amazon and it’s about my experience as a Waldolf teacher, getting fired, losing faith, and trust in people, and then picking myself up again. It’s called the missing teacher.
Or if you prefer an audio book, you could hit Gumroad and name your price. So much to love.
OMG. I love you, Lani. Now what?
Well, you can follow me virtually. But you can’t around town because: a) I’m very good at recognizing stalkers, b) I don’t like people walking behind me, and c) you’ll find it extremely annoying when I stop and look at you or suddenly wait to walk behind you.
Options, you always got options…
- I’m late to social media, but I post most consistently on Instagram . I’ve been doing #365day challenges.
- I have a love/hate relationship with Twitter @lanivcox
- Check out the vault option on the menu bar for more gooey goodness.
Thanks for reading along,
formally Tell-Thai Heart